12U Softball Rules 2017
1. Start time is 6:15 PM on Mon. and Wed. evenings. No inning will start after 7:45 pm when school is in session or 8:00 pm in summer. Game length is 6 innings long or a 1hr and 45 min.
2. Must have a minimum of 8 players to play or the team that is short players forfeits the game. It is encouraged that even if a game is forfeited, that the game is played through loaning players to the team that is short.
3. 10 players on defense; 6 in the infield and 4 must be on the outfield grass
4. The entire roster will bat.
5. RUN RULE: Each team is limited to 5 runs per inning.
6. All players batting or coaching must be wearing helmet with face mask and chin strap.
7. Pitching rubber is 40 feet from home plate.
8. Pitchers may throw 3 innings only, even if extra innings played. 1 pitch thrown counts as 1 inning.
9. It is mandatory that pitchers in Wausau wear a provided or their own infielder’s mask.
10. PITCHING MECHANICS: Both feet must start on the pitching rubber and only movement is towards home plate. They cannot step back and then go forward. No Crow Hop, back foot must drag off of the mound.
11. Players cannot sit out 2 consecutive innings under coach’s discretion.
12. Players cannot play in the same position the entire game. They MUST play at least 2 positions, with a minimum of 1 inning is one of the positions. They should be rotated between 2 or 3 positions in a game.
13. Bunting is allowed, a fake bunt and then swinging is NOT!
14. Leading off and stealing are allowed once the ball leaves the pitchers hand. Players leaving early will be called out.
15. Sliding is highly encouraged to minimize injuries to players. If an umpire feels there is any malicious contact made, the runner will be called out for not sliding, however, it is NOT an automatic out if they player does not slide and no hard contact is made between fielder and runner. This call is the umpire’s discretion.
16. Infield fly rule is in effect. If needed coaches please help umpires make this call.
17. Drop Third Strike Rule is in effect. If first is occupied the batter is out unless there are two outs.
18. If hit by pitch, the batter is awarded 1st base, even if it hits the ground first. The batter must make a reasonable attempt to get out of the way in the eyes of the umpire.
19. If the catcher or pitcher are on base a courtesy runner can be used at any time. The last out is the courtesy runner, this should help speed up the game. Injured players may also have courtesy runners.
20. Home team gets 3rd base side and visiting team gets 1st base side.
21. In Wausau, the home team supplies the home plate umpire and the visiting team supplies the field umpire. Verses DCE, we supply both. In DCE, they will supply both.
22. Umpires must use provided face mask and chest protector.
23. Any harassment of the umpires will not be tolerated, and may end in disciplinary action including ejection from the park and suspension from the league
24. Both teams are responsible for the fields, this may include putting down baselines, putting out and removing bases, raking before and after the game and last but not least making sure all garbage is cleanup around the field.
25. During end-of-year league tournament, all rules are enforced.
26. League tournament will be seeded by a blind/random drawing between player agent and VP of softball.
27. Any rules not specified above will be governed by the Babe Ruth Rule Book.
Keep the game enjoyable and fun so the girls may
Have an educational experience.
Coaches are highly recommended to go over rules before the game.